>Life Affirming Pizza
>This is a repost from my LJ. But it’s worth it because I’ve actually made this 4x so far this fall.
Make sure you put the apples and onions UNDER the cheese to keep them nice and soft and unburned.
Caramelized Onion, Brie, and Apple Pizza
1 large pizza dough from your favorite pizza place
2 yellow onions
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
1 Granny Smith apple thinly sliced
3/4 cup sliced brie cheese (the better you buy the better this will taste- mine was shockingly stinky)
1/3 cup grated hard cheese (parmesan, romano, manchego, etc)
2/3 cup labna (yogurt cheese) or substitute full-fat sour cream
2 Tbsp Herbs de Provence
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1 tsp finely chopped fresh mint.
cornmeal for the pizza stone
1)Preheat oven (and pizza stone if you have one) to 500 degrees. Preheat a big saucepan to medium-high heat.
2) Cut onions in half and then into thin strips.
3) Put onions, butter, salt, sugar into the saucepan and stir, cooking until sweet and golden brown. Taste and add more butter, sugar, salt as needed to keep onions sweet and salty and from sticking to the pan. Stir constantly. DO NOT leave while you are caramelizing onions.
4) Mix the labna with the fresh herbs until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5) Flatten the pizza dough (or spin it). Place onto the pizza stone or onto a peal with LOTS of cornmeal under the pizza to keep it from sticking.
7) Top the pizza with the labna sauce. Then in this order: the onions, apples, brie, and remaining grated cheese.
6) Turn the oven down to 400-degrees and transfer the pizza to the stone and then into the oven. Cook until golden brown.
recipe copyright Mari Kermit-Canfield 2007
I promise you will like it. MBL said it was “life affirming”